The City of Leavenworth is looking for volunteers to serve on our Design Review Board.
Our Design Review Board (DRB) is responsible for preserving our City’s Old World Bavarian-Alpine Theme and unique character.
What does being “responsible for preserving…” mean?
It means that the board members review applications for design of commerical buildings, signs, fences, and lighting, etc., to ensure compliance with the City’s Old World Bavarian Theme ordinance (law).
Who are the other board members?
Board members are local community members, such as architects, business owners, builders, or residents, who volunteer their time and unique expertise to ensure the Old World Theme is continued.
How are the board members selected?
This position is appointed by the Mayor.
Do I get paid to be on the board?
No. This is a volunteer position.
How long is the term?
The term is 4 years.
How often does the DRB meet?
Twice a month at 3 pm on the second and fourth Wednesday of the month.
Do I have to attend every meeting?
Yes, attendance is expected unless it’s prearranged (like vacation) or an emergency (life happens sometimes!). In order to make decisions on applications, the board needs to have a quorum – otherwise applicants have to wait another two weeks.
Do I have to live in town?
Serving on the board requires that you live within the Cascade School district boundary, OR live in Chelan County and have a business in the City of Leavenworth.
What knowledge do I need to have in order to qualify for a position?
You must meet at least three (3) of the criteria below:
- You’ve traveled throughout the Bavarian-Alpine region of Bavaria, Germany.
- You’ve worked or lived in the Bavarian-Alpine region of Bavaria, Germany.
- You can demonstrate a fundamental knowledge of Bavarian-Alpine architecture through the design or building of structures in that style.
- You can demonstrate a fundamental knowledge of Bavarian-Alpine design elements (color, window treatments, murals, overhangs, and building materials.
- You can demonstrate the ability to differentiate between regional design elements (via travel through Germany, Austria, and Switzerland is the preferred method of gaining this knowledge).
Interested in serving on the DRB? Not sure if you meet the criteria but are interested?
Please contact Maggie Boles at [email protected].