The City of Leavenworth and Chelan County Fire District 3 hope you have a safe, smart, and careful weekend to celebrate Independence Day! Here’s a few tips for the weekend:
Practice Grill and Food Safety
- Designate a “Grill Master” to assure children and pets stay away from flames or hot grill.
- Never leave a hot grill unattended.
- Keep a fire extinguisher or water hose close by.
- Take steps to keep food at barbecues and picnics at proper temperature to avoid food borne bacteria.
- Wear the appropriate safety apparel during your adventure such as life jackets while around rivers, helmets while bicycling, appropriate footwear, hats, sunscreen while hiking.
- Drink lots of water to stay hydrated.
- Designate a “Water Watcher” who is a sober adult that can immediately call 911 if a person becomes distressed. The water watcher should be prepared to give 911 their location and report what the distressed person was wearing, their description and last seen location.
- If going into remote areas, be prepared for inclement weather.
Fireworks are Illegal
- Fireworks are illegal in Chelan County and the City of Leavenworth and are a high fire risk. Attend a professional Fireworks show to celebrate Independence Day with a BANG.