FOR IMMEDIATE DISTRIBUTION
November 12, 2020
The City of Leavenworth is pleased to announce the availability of Winter Special Use Permits (WSUP). Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, the City closed Front Street early in May and subsequently permitted many businesses in the Downtown Core to create patio areas outside their businesses. These patios, guided by Special Use Permits, allowed many of our businesses to increase their sales amid a pandemic. The Special Use Permits expire on December 1, 2020. For this reason, merchants and the Chamber of Commerce have requested options for the Winter.
Led by Mayor Florea, a WSUP Summit was held in early November. The City announces its new WSUP which are available immediately. “The City’s focus on collaborative work with its partners, continues to produce great results. In the summer, this collaboration facilitated a thriving summer season for our Downtown with many visitors who have congratulated us on our safety measures and concerns for preventing spread of COVID-19. For the Winter months, this same approach has created a new framework for Special Use Permits” said Mayor Florea.
Administrator Cortez provided key components of the WSUP program:
- Merchant on Front Street and on 8th may request a WSUP- these permits are not limited to those who obtained SUP’s in the summer.
- Requests will be evaluated by staff who will look at lay out, proposed snow management and performance under previous SUP’s.
- The WSUP will require nightly removal of furnishings in the agreement area to within 10’ from the curb.
- The WSUP will not allow tents, canopies (some exceptions), enclosures, igloos or other similar temporary shelter units and extension cords.
- The WSUP will allow canopies less than 120 sqf. inspected by the Fire District, umbrellas 8’ in diameter or less, propane heaters (approved by Fire District).
- The City will vigorously enforce the WSUP. Violations to the conditions will lead to fines and revocation of permit.
The City strongly encourages interested merchants to contact the City’s Development Services Department.
For more Information/ para más información: Leavenworth City Administrator Ana Cortez (509) 630-4157.
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter @BavarianTown.