Notice of Planning Grant
The City of Leavenworth has been awarded a $45,800 grant from the Department of Commerce to complete a Housing Action Plan. The funds were authorized as part of HB 1923 to increase residential building capacity in Washington communities. The Housing Action Plan will build on the existing Comprehensive Plan and Housing Needs Assessment with a focus on encouraging construction of additional affordable and market rate housing in a greater variety of housing types and at prices that are accessible to a greater variety of incomes. Specifically, the plan will include:
- Quantify existing and projected housing needs for all income levels
- Develop strategies to increase the supply of housing needed by those income levels
- Analyze population and employment trends
- Consider strategies to minimize displacement of low-income residents resulting from redevelopment
- Review and evaluate the Comprehensive Plan Housing Element
- Provide for participation and input from a variety of stakeholders
- Include a schedule of programs and actions for implementation of the action plan
This opportunity comes at a great time for the City. The last housing study was the 2017 Housing Assessment, which was used to implement several code amendments. The new Housing Action Plan will provide more detailed information to guide the City’s future actions to improve housing diversity and affordable housing options.
The Planning Commission will be providing guidance and support for the development of the Housing Action Plan. The public is encouraged to attend the Planning Commission meeting or communicate with Commissioners. Additionally, interested persons may contact Development Services to sign up for notification of Housing Action Plan meetings; email Lilith Vespier [email protected] or call City Hall (509) 548-5275 ex 131.
Lilith Vespier, AICP
Development Services Manager