Building Official position now available!
How to Apply
- Required Application Documents
- Job Application (download here)
- Cover Letter (in Microsoft Word or pdf format)
- Resume including recent positions and list of qualifications (in Microsoft Word or pdf format)
- Three (3) Ways to Submit:
- First application review date is August 1, 2022; position open until filled
Any questions? Give us a call at City Hall (509) 548-5275.
Job Description Overview
CITY OF LEAVENWORTH
POSITION TITLE: BUILDING OFFICIAL
REPORTS TO: DEVELOPMENT SERVICES MANAGER
DEPARTMENT: DEVELOPMENT SERVICES
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: None
FLSA STATUS: Full-time, non-exempt, union
SALARY RANGE: $6,410 – $7,219 per month; 6 month probationary/trial period.
The City of Leavenworth is seeking an energetic self-directed individual for a full-time position as Building Official in the Development Services Department. The ideal candidate will have Building Official certification or five years related knowledge of residential building, mechanical, plumbing and inspection processes with the ability to obtain B.O. within one year of employment. Primary responsibilities include performing inspections, issuing certificates of occupancy, issuing code compliance, maintaining accurate records, and responding to in-person and telephone inquiries.
This individual surveys and inspects private and public projects in the process of construction, alteration or repair for conformance with applicable code requirements, application of safe construction practices and other regulations or ordinances relating to the safety, health and welfare of the public. Individuals assigned to this classification normally perform independent fieldwork of a regular, recurring, new and complex nature. Work requires latitude and judgment in application. Failure to perform in an efficient and effective manner could have serious impact, particularly affecting the City’s relationship with its citizens and with adherence to safe construction practices. This individual may supervise assigned employees when needed.
This position works within the Development Services Department under the supervision and direction of the Development Services Manager and performs the following tasks:
- Reviews and approves building, plumbing, mechanical, fire-life safety, stormwater, grading, and other plans;
- Inspects private and public construction projects in the process of construction, alteration, reuse, or repair for compliance with applicable regulatory requirements and sound construction practices;
- Enforces regulations relating to the safety, health, and welfare of the public;
- Assists the public with various processes and questions relating to regulations, permits, and related activities; and
- Performs other duties as assigned.
For more information about the job and requirements, please see the full job description below.