CODE ENFORCEMENT OFFICER FOR PARKING AND DEVELOPMENT SERVICES
WE SEEK AN INDIVIDUAL THAT WILL:
Actively support and assist the City of Leavenworth with traffic control and development enforcement services. This position performs a variety of code enforcement duties with a main focus on directing vehicle and pedestrian traffic, enforcing City parking ordinances and parking related state statutes; coordinating assigned activities with other city departments and outside agencies and performing related work as required. Will hold no arrest powers.
WHY WORK FOR THE CITY OF LEAVENWORTH?
The City of Leavenworth is a small town with a mid-size city dynamic. As a destination, Leavenworth comes alive Thursday through Mondays. This position is ideal for a person interested in land use, planning, code enforcement, public relations, conflict resolution and community building. This position is also ideal for a person interested in being out and about, interacting with the public and outdoors. Furthermore, the City seeks a person interested in growing professionally in an energetic city where he/she/they can learn multiple elements of municipal government and be part of a tight knit city team that values professional development and mentoring. The City of Leavenworth is an equal opportunity employer and it actively seeks individuals who bring different perspectives and unique personal stories.
PARKING CODE ENFORCEMENT DUTIES
- Patrol city streets and issue citations in a manner that promotes positive interaction with merchants, citizens and visitors.
- Establish and maintain cooperative work relationships with those contacted in the course of work including City staff and the general public.
- Performs code enforcement and applicable state and city laws, ordinances, codes and regulations. Issue citations.
- Operate motor vehicles in a safe manner; patrols assigned area on foot/bike/auto.
- Respond to requests and inquiries from the general public and investigates code related issues.
- Work effectively in the absence of supervision. Understands and follow oral and written instructions.
- Prepares and maintains records and reports on violations, actions including a daily log of activities, and invoicing.
- Communicate effectively.
- Appears, testifies and presents evidence in court as required by summons and/or subpoena.
- Promotes community relations by routinely communicating with merchants, citizens and tourists.
- At the direction of supervisor, Assists other City departments with code enforcement related matters.
- Ability to perform moderate physical work and to lift and carry up to 25 pounds regularly and occasionally 50 pounds.
- Ability to stand, climb, kneel, twist, ride, pinch, pick, reach, grab, walk, sit, bend, crawl, push, pull, and perform a variety of similar body movements.
- Possess hand/eye/foot coordination adequate to use personal protective devices, office equipment and computer, and operate an automobile and bicycle.
- Ability to see and read instructions, codes, regulations, ownership documents and characters on a computer screen and to observe parking violations.
- Ability to work in a variety of weather conditions.
- Ability to stand, walk, bend or squat for long periods of time.
Current employees are encouraged to apply. In the event a current employee is selected and accepts the announced position, that current employee will have up to six months from the date of hire to revert to his/her former position.
APPLICATIONS WILL BEGIN THE REVIEW PROCESS ON 10/20/2020. OPEN UNTIL FILLED. SUBMIT RESUME AND SUPPLEMENTAL INFORMATION TO [email protected] SUBJECT: JOB APPLICATION
SUPPLEMENTAL INFORMATION: please limit each response to no more than half a page, font size 12. No more than two pages will be accepted.
- Why are you interested in enforcing parking regulations in Leavenworth?
- What is the main function of code enforcement in a city?
- Why should we hire you? Are there gaps in employment and/or other explanations you wish to provide?
Any combination of education and experience that demonstrates knowledge with municipal code or similar framework in the private sector or academia will be accepted. Ability to learn related software is a must – evidence of familiarity with land use, GIS, parking software OR any other similar software/app is desired. Possession of an appropriate valid driver’s license is a must.
Selected candidates will be subject to a background check. Individuals with criminal records will be considered and will not be excluded from employment.