Wildland Urban Interface (WUI) Fire Protections
The City of Leavenworth is located in a high fire prone area. To help reduce fire risk to structures, the City established minimum regulations (WUI codes) consistent with nationally recognized good practices for the safeguarding of life and property protection, and to establish required construction materials, methods and planning associated with a structure’s ability to withstand exposure to wildfire events consistent with RCW 19.27.560 and Chelan County Fire District No. 3 recommendations, LMC 15.06.
What is the WUI Retrofit Grant Program?
Many existing older homes do not meet the WUI codes. To support improvements to older homes owned by community members with lower incomes, the City of Leavenworth has adopted a grant program that helps to make our community safer as a whole.
Who can qualify for the Retrofit Grant Program?
Each of the following conditions must be met in order to qualify for Retrofit Grant funding:
- The property must be a single-family home or accessory dwelling unit that is more than 30 years old.
- The dwelling must be occupied by the owner, who must also be the applicant.
- The owner must qualify for low-income status, defined as 80% of the average median income of Chelan County (the actual dollar amount changes yearly).
- The area of improvement/rehabilitation does not contain asbestos.
- The type of improvement/rehabilitation is consistent with the WUI requirements.